Monday 19 March 2018

Bright Lights Big City

Adaptation to SA life is proving to be difficult for me at times. Remember that blog I wrote two and a half years ago called "Failing in the Big Smoke"? Well, that crud is still happening. 
I caught a bus to Nairne the other day. Not even slightly intentional. My destination was supposed to be Mt Barker. After calling the landlord for help it was all chaos and downhill from there. His gearbox played up, I ended up catching a taxi and I had Oporto's despite the budget not allowing it. At least the pups peed in my car and not all over his leather seats. Somehow, the old EJ clunked back into gear and made it home without the RAA.
That same week I went to the city for some training. I thought I needed to go to level six to be at the right place so I took the elevator that did floors one through twelve. When I realised my mistake, I took the elevator to level twelve and thought that I'll take the stairs the rest of the way up. The toilets just happened to be in the stairwell in this building and thank goodness some bloke needed to pee because without a pass I never would have got out of that stairwell.
I've been relying heavily on Google Maps to get me around Adelaide. The meltdown was real when it took me to Britannia roundabout. Nobody likes Britannia roundabout. 
And today I let a perfectly good bus drive past me because I had completely forgotten which buses were available to me to get back to Mt Barker. 
This is on top of almost falling asleep coming into Glen Osmond because the dogs... actually, no, just one female, adult dog, spent the night barking because she was pissed off that she was expected to sleep outside after I'd cleaned the cottage for an inspection and also that rodent that kept me awake due to its desire to gnaw on the bookcase even though I kicked and slapped the bejeezus out of that bookcase in an effort to strike fear into its heart and make it go away. Thankfully, there's a café near my bus stop so I got a cup of burnt dirt with added chocolate and a cookie which got me twitching throughout the day, but not mentally alert.
One day I may get this city/suburban thing down pat?

1 comment: